Ethics and Social
List of Compositions
Eight books, over fifty articles, and more than one hundred reviews in aesthetics, ethical theory, and other areas in scholarly journals, some translated into Arabic, Chinese, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Polish, Portuguese, and Russian.
Click on any of the titles for abstract and ordering information.
||Aesthetics beyond the Arts: New and Recent Essays (Ashgate, 2012).
||Sensibility and Sense: The Aesthetic Transformation of the Human World (Exeter: Imprint Academic, 2010).
||The Aesthetics of Human Environments. Co-edited with Allen Carlson. (Peterborough, Ont: Broadview, 2007) |
Aesthetics and Environment, Theme and Variations on Art and Culture, (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005)
||Re-thinking Aesthetics, Rogue Essays on Aesthetics and the Arts(Aldershot: Ashgate, 2004). Polish translation, 2007. |
||The Aesthetics of Natural Environments, Co-edited with Allen Carlson (Peterborough, Ont: Broadview, 2004).
||Environment and the Arts; Perspectives on Art and Environment, Editor. (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002).
||The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 56/2 (1998). Special issue on environmental aesthetics. Guest co-editor (with Allen Carlson).
||Living in the Landscape: Toward an Aesthetics of Environment (University Press of Kansas, 1997).
||The Aesthetics of Environment (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1992).
||Art and Engagement, (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1991).
||The Aesthetic Field: A Phenomenology of Aesthetic Experience (Springfield, Ill.: C. C. Thomas, 1970).
||The Ethical Factor in Business Decisions (Brookville, N.Y.: C. W. Post Center of Long Island University, 1982). (Editor)
||The Fugue in the Orchestral Works of Bartók (Rochester: University of Rochester Press, 1958). Microcards.
Some recent publications:
- “Urbanistinius Pokyčius Padiktuos Neišvengiamybẹ," ("Urban Aesthetics, Ethics and Urban Environment") an Interview with Almantas Samalavičius. Kultūros Barai, 7/8 (2013), 17-20.
- “Die ästhetische Umweltpolitik" (German translation of "The Aesthetics of Politics"), Polylog: Zeitschrift für Internkulturelles Philosophieren, 29 (2013), 5-20.
- “Environmental Sensibility," Studia Phaenomenologica, forthcoming in special issue on space.
- “Aesthetic Sensibility,” Proceedings of international conference on “Aesthetics and Art: Tradition and Presence,” Xuzhou, China. In Chinese. Forthcoming.
- “Environmental Sensibility,” Ambiances in Action: Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress on Ambiances. International Ambiances Network, 2012, pp.53-56.
- “Scenic Beauty in a Global Context,” International Association of Aesthetics Yearbook, 2011, Fall 2012.
- “Changing Landscapes,” International Conference on Transition Landscapes/ Paysages en Transition, Lisbon, Portugal, in Portuguese. Forthcoming.
- “l'Art de Connaïtre un Paysage, Diogène n° 233-234, janvier 2011, 54-70. “The Art in Knowing a Landscape, Diogenes, Fall 2012.
- “Nature and Habitation in a Chinese Garden," in Arnold Berleant, Aesthetics Beyond the Arts (Ashgate, 2012).
- “Cultural Aesthetics,” in Hwa Yol Jung, ed.,g, eds., Comparative Environmental Aesthetics, forthcoming.
- “Ideas for an Ecological Aesthetics,” in Xiangzhan Cheng, Arnold Berleant, Paul Gobster, Xinhao Wang, eds., Ecological Aesthetics and Ecological Planning, forthcoming.
- “Evolutionärer Naturalismus und das Ende des Dualsimus" ("Evolutionary Naturalism and the End of Dualism"), in Christian Tewes and Klaus Vieweg, eds., Natur und Geist: Über ihre evolutionäre Verhältnisbestimmung (Nature and Mind: the Meaning of their Evolutionary Relation), (Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 2011), pp. 21-31. Also in Arnold Berleant, Aesthetics Beyond the Arts (Ashgate, 2012) in English.
- “Negative Aesthetics in Everyday Life,” Aesthetic Pathways, Vol. 1, No. 2 (June 2011), pp.75-91.
- “The Cultural Aesthetics of Environment,” forthcoming in Annals for Aesthetics, Fiftieth Anniversary Issue. (Presented at the annual conference of the International Association of Environmental Philosophy, Montreal, 7 November 2010.)
- “Sensibility: The Growth of an Aesthetic,""What Titles Don't Tell," and "Engaging Dewey: The Legacy of Dewey's Aesthetics" in Sztuka y Filozofia, Vol. 37/2011. Special issue devoted to the work of Arnold Berleant, with contributions by Polish, Chinese, and American scholars. 165 pages. In Polish.
- “Reconsidering Scenic Values,” Environmental Values, 13: 3 (August 2010).
- “Art, Terrorism, and the Negative Sublime,” Contemporary Aesthetics, Volume 7 (2009).
- “What Music Isn't and How to Teach It,” Action, Criticism, and Theory for Music Education, Volume 8, Issue 1, (2009), 54-65, act.maydaygroup.org/php/current.php
- “From Environmental Aesthetics to Urban Aesthetics,” interview with Cheng Xiangzhan, Academic Research (Guangdong Academy of Social Science), (in Chinese).
- “What Titles Don't Tell,” Congress Book I, XVIIth International Congress of Aesthetics, 2007 (Ankara, 2008), pp. 465-472.
- “Making Theory, Making Sense, Comments on Ronald Moore's Natural Beauty,” Sixty-sixth Annual Meeting of the American Society for Aesthetics, Northampton, MA, November 7, 2008, inEthics, Place and Environment.
- “From Environmental Aesthetics to Urban Aesthetics,” interview with Cheng Xiangzhan, Academic Research (Guangdong Academy of Social Science), (in Chinese).
- “Poetry in American Philosophy,” Encyclopedia of American Philosophy, forthcoming.
- Review of Noel G. Charlton, Understanding Gregory Bateson: Mind, Beauty, and the Sacred Earth, with Elizabeth Sikes, Environmental Values, May, 2009.
- “Aesthetic Engagement and the Human Landscape,” presented at the international conference on Environment, Aesthetic Engagement, and the Public Sphere, Paris, 9 May 2007. Translated into Chinese and reprinted under the title, "Aesthetic Ecology and the Urban Environment" in Academic Monthly, Vol 3, 2008. This paper has been selected and re-printed by the center for copied papers and articles of Renmin University of China.
- “Response to Critics,” in symposium on Aesthetics and Environment: Variations on a Theme, in Ethics, Place and Environment, forthcoming.
- “On Judging Scenic Beauty,” Aesthetic Culture ( Maahenki Co: 2007). pp.57-75.
- “A Rose By Any Other Name,” in Filozofski Vestnic Vol. XXVIII No. 2 (Ljublijana, Slovenia 2007), pp.151-168.
- “Aesthetics and Environments Reconsidered: Reply to Carlson,” in The British Journal of Aesthetics, Volume 47, Number 3. (Oxford University Press: July 2007), 315-318.
- “Re-thinking Aesthetics,” trans. Xiao Shuangrong, Journal of Hunan Institute of Humanities, Science and Technology, 2006.
- “Beauty and the Way of Modern Life,” in Beauty and Modern Life (Wuhan, China: Wuhan University Press, 2005).
- “Ideas for a Social Aesthetic,” in The Aesthetics of Everyday Life, Andrew Light and Jonathan M. Smith (eds.), (New York: Columbia University Press, 2005).
- Preface to the Greek translation of The Aesthetics of Environment (Athens: Michelis Institute, 2004).
- “The Idea of a Cultural Aesthetic,” Dialogue and Universalism XIII, 11-12 (2003), 113-122.
- Arnold Berleant and Ronald Hepburn, “An Exchange on Disinterestedness,” Contemporary Aesthetics, I (2003).
- “The Aesthetic in Place,” in Constructing Place, ed. Sarah Menin (New York: Routledge, 2003), Ch.1, pp.41-54.
- "Is There Life in Virtual Space," in The Virtual Environment, ed. Pauline von Bonsdorff and Arto Haapala (Lahti, Finland: International Institute of Applied Aesthetics, forthcoming).
- “Forestry Aesthetics: Forest Management as Hidden Landscape Architecture” in Finnish ("Metsänhoidon estetiikka: metsän käsittely maisemaarkkitehtuurina," in Yrjö Sepänmaa, ed., Metsän mieleni”(Addicted to Forest). (Maahenki, Finland, 2003).
- “Maailma vedestä käsin” ("The World from the Water"), in Vesi vetää puoleensa (Helsinki: Maahenki Oy, 2002), pp.228-237, 276-277.
- “Embodied Music,” in Environment and the Arts; Perspectives on Art and Environment, ed. A. Berleant (Ashgate, 2002), pp. 143-155. Also in TKS, Tidskrift för kulturstudier, (Journal of Cultural Studies), 5 (2002), 7-22.
- “Notes for a Cultural Aesthetic,” Koht ja Paik / Place and Location, ed. Virve Sarapik, Kadri Tüür, and Mari Laanemets (Eesti Kunstiakadeemia, 2002), pp. 19-26.
- "Religion without Theology," 2002. Unpublished ms.
- “The One and Many Faces of Love,” unpublished ms.
- “Making Rough Places Plain,” unpublished ms.
- “Ending and Beginning: A New Year’s Resolution,” unpublished ms.(2001).
- “Experience as Aesthetic,” unpublished ms. (2001).
- "Down the Garden Path," unpublished ms. (2000).
- "Musical Embodiment," Tidskrift för kulturstudier (Journal of Cultural Studies) 5, Summer 2001, 7-22. Reprinted as Ch. 11 “Embodied Music,” in Arnold Berleant, Aesthetics and Environment (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002), pp. 143-155.
- "Ideas for a Social Aesthetic," in The Aesthetics of Everyday Life, Andrew Light and Jonathan M. Smith (eds.), forthcoming.
- “Re-thinking Aesthetics,” in Filozofski vestnik, XX (2/1999 - XIV ICA), Proceedings of the XIV International Congress of Aesthetics (Ljubljana, Slovenia, pp. 25-33.
- "Two Paths through the Landscape," in Art and Landscape, Vol. 1, ed. George L. Anagnostopoulos (Athens: Panayotis and Effie Michelis Foundation, 2001), pp. 35-43.
- "Notes pour une phénomenologie de l'exécution musicale," Revue d'esthétique 36, 1999, 143-150.
- "Notes for a Phenomenology of Musical Performance," Philosophy of Music Education Review, 7, no. 2 (Fall 1999), pp.73-79.
- "Affirming Morality," Letter to the Editor, Castine Patriot, May 20, 1999.
- "Beauty and the Body," editorial, IIAA Newsletter, No. 3 (Spring 1999).
- "A Paddle on the Bantam River," Wooden Canoe, Issue 92, Vol. 22, No. 2 (April 1999), 8-10.
- "Why We Need an Anti-discrimination Ordinance," Guest Column, Castine Patriot, Vol. 20, No. 13, April 1, 1999, p. 4.
- "Is There Life in Virtual Space," in A. Berleant, Re-thinking Aesthetics (Aldershot: Ashgate, forthcoming, 2005).
- "On Getting Along Beautifully: Ideas for a Social Aesthetics," in Aesthetics in the Human Environment, ed. Pauline von Bonsdorff and Arto Haapala (Lahti, Finland: International Institute of Applied Aesthetics, 1999), pp. 12-29.
- "Mothering and Metaphor," Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 57/1 (Winter 1999), 363-5.
- "The Wilderness City: An Essay in Metaphorical Experience," in The City as Cultural Metaphor: Studies in Urban Aesthetics, edited by Arto Haapala (Lahti, Finland: International Institute of Applied Aesthetics, 1998), pp. 16-25. Reprinted in Koht ja Paik/Place and Location, 8, ed. Kaia Lehari and Vive Sarapik (Eesti Kunstiakadeemia, 2000), pp.28-36.
- "Introduction," Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 56/2 (1998), special issue on environmental aesthetics, co-authored with Allen Carlson.
- "The Origins of the IAA," IAA Newsletter No. 14 (Spring 1998), 1-2.
- "Some Observations on American Music Today, New Sound, International Magazine for Music, No. 12 (1998), 23-26.
- "Sanart III - Art and Environment," IAA Newsletter, No. 14 (Spring 1998), 5.
- "Environmental Aesthetics," in Art and Environment, Proceedings of Sanart III Symposium, Ankara, forthcoming.
- "Environmental Aesthetics," for The Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, ed. M. Kelly ( Oxford University Press, 1998)
- "Leaving Relativism," in Relativism and Beyond, ed. Y. Ariel, S. Biderman, and O. Rotem (Leiden: Brill, 1998), pp. 67-87.
- "Metapragmatism and the Future of American Philosophy." Unpublished paper.
- “Environment and the Body,” in Place and Embodiment, ed. P.T. Karjalainen & P.von Bonsdorff (Lahti: University of Helsinki, 1997), pp. 69-78.
- "Aesthetics in Practice and the Practice of Aesthetics," International Yearbook of Aesthetics, I (1996), 80-86.
- "Where Goes American Aesthetics?" Unpublished.
- "Ananda K. Coomaraswamy," biographical article for American National Biography, forthcoming.
- Articles on "the aesthetic field," "engagement," and "environmental aesthetics" for Encyclopedia of Non-Classical Aesthetics (Moscow, forthcoming). In Russian.
- "Environmental Aesthetics," in The Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, ed. M. Kelly (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998), Vol. 2, pp. 114-120.
- "Naturalism and Aesthetic Experience," The Journal of Speculative Philosophy, 9/3 (1995), 237-240.
- “Aesthetics and Environment” (in Korean), The Korean Journal of Aesthetics, 20 (November 1995), 415-435.
- "Mitä on ympäristöestetiikka?," ("What Is Environmental Aesthetics?") in Ympäristö Arkkitehtuuri Estetiikka (Environment Architecture Aesthetics ) in Finnish, ed. by Arto Haapala, Martti Honkanen, and Veikko Rantala (Helsinki: Yliopistopaino, 1995), pp. 66-85.
- "Spo≈eczne warto∇ciowanie sztuki" ("The Social Evaluation of Art," in Polish. In Problematyka
warto∇ciowania w Ameryka?skiej filozofii i estetyce xx wieku (The Question of Valuation in American Twentieth Century Philosophy and Aesthetics), edited Andrzeja Ceynowy, Bohdana Dziemidoka, Marka Janiaka (Gdansk: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Gda?skiego, 1995), pp. 58-67.
- "The Critical Aesthetics of Disney World," Journal of Applied Philosophy, 11/2 (1994), 171-180. Reprinted in Margaret J. King, editor, The Cutlures of Celebrations.
- "Architecture and the Aesthetics of Continuity," in Philosophy and Architecture, ed. M. Mitias (Amsterdam-Atlanta: Rodopi, 1994), pp.21-30.
- "Ympäristökritiikki," in Alligaattorin Hymy, Ympäristöestetiikan Uusi Aalto (Jyväskylä: Gummerus Kirjapaino Oy, 1994), pp. 152-169. Finnish translation of "Environmental Criticism," from The Aesthetics of Environment.
- "Musical Generation," from The Aesthetics of Environment, reprinted in New Sound (Belgrade), No. 4-5 (1994/5), 27-42.
- "Environmental Creativity," The Structurist 33/34 (1993-94) (Special Issue on "The Ecology of Creativity").
- "Aesthetics and Community," Journal of Value Inquiry 28, 257-272 (1994), special issue on aesthetics.
- "Deconstructing Disney World," translated into Chinese by Niu Hong Bao and published in Wen She Zhe (Literature, History, and Philosophy, a journal in P.R. China), 1994/2, 92-103.
- "The Persistence of Dogma in Aesthetics," The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 52/2 (Spring 1994).
- "Beyond Disinterestedness." The British Journal of Aesthetics, 34/3 (July 1994). Published in a Chinese translation. Summarized in Japanese in Bigaku, No. 178 (Vol. 45/2), 1994, p.70. Published in a Russian translation in Polygnosis, No. 2 (1999), 49-59.
OTHER PUBLISHED PAPERS
- "Beyond Dewey: The Aesthetics of Engagement," in Philosophical Translations Series, No. 2 (1993) (in Chinese), 49-52.
- "Beyond Disinterestedness: Prolegomenon to a Postmodern Aesthetics," in Primum Philosophari, a Festschrift for Stefan Morawski, ed. Jolanta Brach-Czaina (Warsaw: Oficyna Naukowa, 1993), pp. 199-213.
- "Prolegomenon to a Postmodern Aesthetics," in La modernidad como estética, Proceedings of the XII International Congress of Aesthetics (Madrid: Instituto de Estética, 1993), pp. 130-134.
- "Human Being and Natural World," in Ethics and the Environment, ed. Richard E. Hart (Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1992), pp. 25-28.
- "On the Aesthetics of Art and Nature," in Landscape, Natural Beauty, and the Arts, edited by Salim Kemal and Ivan Gaskell (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992).
- "Toward an Aesthetics of Environmental Design," Person-Environment Theory Series, University of California, Berkeley, 1991.
- "The Museum of Art as a Participatory Environment," Curator, 33/1 (March 1990), 31-39.
- "The Eighteenth Century Assumptions of Analytic Aesthetics," in V. Tejera and T. Lavine, eds., History and Anti-History in Philosophy (Kulwer, 1989), pp.256-274.
- "The Unsettling Art of Carol Crawford," catalog essay in Carol Crawford: City Visions, Queens Community College Gallery, 1988.
- "Aesthetic Perception in Environmental Design," in Environmental Aesthetics: Theory, Research, and Applications, edited by Jack Nasar (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988), pp. 84-97.
- "The Environment as an Aesthetic Paradigm," Dialectics and Humanism, XV, 1-2/1988, 95-106.
- "Space by Design: Aesthetic and Moral Issues in Planning Space Communities," with Sarah Fowler, The Monist, 70/1 (October 1987), 72-87.
- "Does Art Have a Spectator?", The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XLV/4 (Summer 1987), 411 412.
- "Musical De Composition," in What Is Music?, ed. P. Alperson (New York: Haven, 1987).
- "Cultivating an Urban Aesthetic," Diogenes, 136 (October December 1986), 1 18.
- "A la recherche d'une esthetique urbaine." French translation of above. Chinese translation in Diogene, Anthologieen chinois, Vol. 2, 1987 (No.6). Retranslated into Chinese and serialized in Scenic Spots and Historical Sites (Hangzhou, forthcoming).
- "Art and Space Age Communities," in Art and Technology, ed. Rene Berger and Lloyd Eby (New York: Paragon House, 1986), pp. 383 389.
- "Experience and Theory in Aesthetics," in Possibility of the Aesthetic Experience, ed. Michael Mitias (Dordrecht: Nijhoff, 1986), pp. 91 106.
- "The Historicity of Aesthetics I," The British Journal of Aesthetics, Vol.26, No.2 (Spring 1986), 101 111.
- "The Historicity of Aesthetics II," The British Journal of Aesthetics, Vol.26, No.3 (Summer 1986), 195 203.
- "W Strone Nowego Paradygmatu w Estetyce," Polish translation of summary of "The Historicity of Aesthetics," Stydia Estetyczne, XXIII (1990), 73-77.
- "Art without Object," in Creation and Interpretation, ed. Stern, Rodman, and Cobitz (New York: Haven, 1985), pp.63 72.
- "Toward a Phenomenological Aesthetics of Environment," in Descriptions, ed. H. Silverman and D. Idhe (State University of New York Press, 1985), pp.112 128.
- "Aesthetic Participation and the Urban Environment," in Urban Resources, Vol. 1, No. 4 (Summer 1984), 37 42.
- "Environmental Reciprocity: A Study in Aesthetics and Environmental Experience," EDRA 15, Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, 5 pp.
- "Toward a New Paradigm in Aesthetics," Proceedings of the Xth International Congress in Aesthetics, Montreal, 1984. Also in The Eidos of Art, Proceedings of an international conference in aesthetics at the Jagiellonian University of Cracow, Poland, 23 29 August 1985.
- "Multinationals, Local Practice, and the Problem of Ethical Consistency," in Ethics and Management, Proceedings of the Fifteenth Conference on Value Inquiry, (Brockport, N.Y. 198l). Reprinted in the Journal of Business Ethics, l (1982), l85 193 and in The Ethical Factor in Business Decisions.
- "The Expansion of Art and the Integration of Culture," Proceedings of the IX International Congress of Aesthetics, Beograd, 1980, Vol. l, pp. 77 80. Reprinted in Stvaralastvo I, Ljudski Svet--Physis--Techne--Poiesi, ed. Milan Damnjanovic (Beograd, 1983), pp. 221 223.
- "The Viewer in the Landscape," EDRA 13, Proceedings of the Thirteenth Annual Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association (Washington, D.C., 1982), pp.161 165.
- "Art, Intuition, and Reality," Proceedings of VIII International Congress of Aesthetics.
- "Subsidization of Art as Social Policy," Journal of Behavioral Economics, VIII, l (Summer, 1979), 23 37. Reprinted in the Journal of Cultural Economics, Dec. 1980.
"The Visual Arts and the Art of the Unseen," Leonardo, XII (Summer 1979), 23l 235.
"Aesthetic Paradigms for an Urban Ecology," Diogenes, l03 (Fall 1978), l 28.
- "Exigences esthétiques d'une écologie urbaine," French translation of above. Juilllet Septembre 1978, III XXVII. Published also in Arabic edition. Reprinted in Chinese translation in Diogene, Anthologieen chinois, Vol. 2, 1987 (No.6).
- Values in Business Management Criteria for Decision Making, editor and author of Introduction, C. W. Post Center, Long Island University, 1979, l6 pp.
- "Artists and Morality: Toward an Ethics of Art," Leonardo, the Journal of the Contemporary Artist, l0 (Summer 1977), 195 202.
- "Ethics and Science: Some Normative Facts and a Conclusion," Journal of Value Inquiry, XI, (1977), Winter 1977, 244 258.
"The Aesthetics of the Human Environment," Proceedings of VII International Congress of Aesthetics (Bucharest, Romania: II, Editura Academiei Republic Socialiste Romanie, 1977), pp.345 348.
- "Death in Image, Word and Idea," Ventures in Research, ed. D. Frank, Long Island University, Fall 1973, pp. 66 91. Reprinted in Philosophical Aspects of Thanatology, Vol. l, ed. Hetzler & Kutscher, 1977.
- "Art and Intuition, or Pygmalion Rediscovered," in Value and the Arts, ed. E. Laszlo & James B. Wilbur (Geneseo: State University College of Arts & Sciences, 1976) pp. 5 20.
- "Aesthetic Function," in Phenomenology and Natural Existence, ed. D. Riepe (State University of New York Press, 1973), pp. l83 193.
- "The Verbal Presence: An Aesthetics of Literary Performance," The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXI, 3 (Spring 1973), 339 346.
- "Environmental Aesthetics," Cakes and Ale, IV, 8 (January l3, 1972), 3.
- "Education as Aesthetic Process," The Journal of Aesthetic Education, 5/3 (July 197l), l39 l47.
- "Repressive Tolerance and Pure Toleration," Confrontation, No. 3 (Winter/Spring 1970), 70 74.
- "Aesthetics and the Contemporary Arts," The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXIX, 2 (Winter 1970), l55 l68. Reprinted in The Philosophy of the Visual Arts, ed. Philip Alperson (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992), and in part in Esthetics Contemporary, ed. Richard Kostelanetz, 1978.
- "The Social Postulate of Theoretical Ethics," Journal of Value Inquiry, IV, l (January 1970), l l6.
- "Surrogate Theories of Art," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXX, 2 (December 1969), l63 l83.
- "Music as Sound and Idea," Current Musicology, No. 6/1968, pp. 95 l00.
- "The Experience and Criticism of Art," Sarah Lawrence Journal, (Winter, 1967), 55 64.
- "The Experience and Judgment of Values," The Journal of Value Inquiry, I, l (Spring 1967), 24 37. Reprinted in Value Theory in Philosophy and Social Science, ed. Laszlo and Wilbur (New York: Gordon & Breach, 1973).
- "On the Circularity of the Cogito," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVI, 3 (March, 1966), 43l 3.
- "A Note on the Problem of Defining Art," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXV, 2 (December 1964), 239 24l. Reprinted in Problems in Criticism of the Arts, (San Francisco: Chandler, 1968), ed. H. G. Duffield, pp. 240 242.
- "The Sensuous and the Sensual in Aesthetics," The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXIII, 2 (Winter 1964), l85 192. Reprinted in Philosophical Essays on Curriculum (Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1969), ed. R. S. Guttchen and B. Bandman, pp. 306 3l7.
RECENT REVIEWS AND MISCELLANEOUS WRITINGS
- AEstetyka zaangaowana,@ Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Estetycznego nr 3 (1) 2003.
- Review of Aesthetics of the Four Elements, ed. Krystyna Wilkoszewska, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 61/3 (Summer 2003).
- Review of Ronald Hepburn, The Reach of the Aesthetic, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 61/2 (Spring 2003), 207-9.
- Review of Claire Detels, Soft Boundaries: Revisioning the Arts and Aesthetics in American Education, ASA Newsletteer (Fall 2000), 9-10.
- Review of Jean-Luc Nancy, The Muses, International Studies in Philosophy. Vol. 35/2 (2003), 165-6.
- Review of Andrew Light and Jonathan M. Smith eds., Philosophy nd Geography I: Space, Place, and Environmental Ethics, in Philosophy in Review, 17/5 (October 1997), 351-354.
- "The International Summer Schools of Applied Aesthetics," IIAA Newsletter, 1 (Spring 1997), 7.
- "A Smaller Prophecy," IAA Newsletter, No. 10 (Spring 1996), 3-4.
- President's Concluding Address, XIIIth International Congress of Aesthetics, Lahti, Finland, International Association of Aesthetics Newsletter, 9 (Winter 1995), 1-2.
- Review of The Politics of the Picturesque, ed. S. Coplely and P. Garside, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 53/4, 440-441.
- "Where Development Meets Environment in Litchfield County, Who Owns the View?," Litchfield County Times, Op-Ed, Feb. 3, 1995, p.5.
- "Aesthetics National and International," IAA Newsletter, No. 5 (Winter 1993), 1.
- Review of The Aesthetics of Landscape, by S. Bourassa, The Journal of Aesthetic Education, forthcoming.
- Review of The Visual Nature of Color and Primary Sources: Selected Writings on Color from Aristotle to Albers, by Patricia Sloane, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 51/3, 518-19.
- "Some Reminiscences of the ASA, in The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 51/2, 284.
- Review of Philosophy and the Analysis of Music; Bridges to Musical Sound, Form, and Reference by Lawrence Ferrara, Canadian Philosophical Reviews, XII/5, 320-322.
- "In Memoriam Florence Hetzler," ASA Newsletter, 12/1 (Winter 1992), 2.
- Review of Landscapes of the Mind, Worlds of Sense and Metaphor, by J. Douglas Porteous in Environment and Behavior, 25/1 (January 1993), 143-145.
- "A Paddle on the Bantam River," Sanctuary, Newsletter of the White Memorial Conservation Center, IX, 4, 1-2, 8.
- "Smoking: A Personal Problem or Everybody's Problem?" The Open Forum, I, 2 (April 3, 1991), 35-36.
- Review of The Exploratorium; the Museum as Laboratory, by Hilde Hein, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 49:4 (Fall 1991), 398-99.
- Review of Architects' People, ed. R. Ellis and D. Cuff, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 49/2 (Spring 1991), 183-4.
- Review of Of Birds, Beasts, and Other Artists: An Essay on the Universality of Art, by Ben-Ami Scharfstein, Canadian Philosophical Reviews, X/1 (January 1990), 37-39.
- Review of Basic Issues in Aesthetics, by Marcia Muelder Eaton, Idealistic Studies, 1990.
OTHER REVIEWS AND WRITING
- Review of John Dewey's Theory of Art, Experience, and Nature: The Horizons of Feeling, by Thomas M. Alexander. Essay review in Transactions of the C.W. Peirce Society: A Journal of American Philosophy, XXIV/2 (Spring 1988), 293-301.
- "The Arts in the Life of Society," Religious Humanist, XXI, 2 (Spring 1987), 91.
- "Charlestown, Nevis," in The American Geographical Society's Focus, Vol.37, No.3 (Fall 1987), 32-33. With Riva Berleant-Schiller.
- Review of Soundtracks, A Study of Auditory Perception, Memory, and Valuation, by Jean Gabbert Harrell, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XLV/3 (Spring 1987), 312 13.
- "A Comment on David Lewis." Design Research News, XVI, 5 (September October 1985), pp.1, 14 15.
- "Beyond Form and Structure: Alternatives in Architectural Aesthetics." Report on symposium on architectural aesthetics at the American Society for Aesthetics meeting in October 1985, Design Research News, XVI/3 (May June 1986), 15 16.
- "Art, Artistry, and Sculpture," essay review of Artistry: The Work of Artists, by V.A. Howard and Sculpture and Enlivened Space by F. David Martin. Human Studies, vol.8, no.2 (1985), 183 190.
- Essay review of Music as Heard, by Thomas Clifton, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Spring 1984, 345 347.
- Essay review of The Theory of the Arts by Francis E. Sparshott, Philosophy and Literature, Spring 1984, 279 284.
- "Art and the Future of Experience," in PLA Report, Vol. 9 (1983) p. 9.
- "Aesthetics at EDRA," ASA Newsletter, Vol. 4 No. 2 (Fall 1983).
- Report on the Sixth Annual Conference of the International Association for Philosophy and Literature, ASA Newsletter, Vol. 2 No. 3, Fall 1981
- Review of The Aesthetics of Architecture by Roger Scruton, in Teaching Philosophy, 4:2, April, 198l, 194 7.
- Review of Poetic Creation: Inspiration or Craft by Carl Fehrman, in Philosophy and Literature, V, l (Spring 1981), 117 118.
Review of Time and Space Concepts in Art, ed. Marilyn Belford and Jerry Herman, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Spring 198l, 333.
- Review of Morality and Architecture, by David Watkin in Leonardo, l3, (1980), pp. 257 258.
- Review of Gerald H. Hinkle, Art as Event: An Aesthetics for the Performing Arts, in The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXVIII, 3 (Spring 1980). .
- "Visual Arts and the Arts of the Unseen." Letter to the Editor, Leonardo, l3, (1980), pp. l74 5. .
- Values in Business Management--Criteria for Decision Making, editor and author of Introduction, C. W. Post Center, Long Island University, 1979, l6 pp. .
- "Refusing an Academic Gift," Editorial in Controversy, no. 2, a faculty journal at C. W. Post Center, May 1979, pp. l 2.
- Review of Stefan Morawski, Inquiries into the Fundamentals of Aesthetics, in Leonardo, XII, 2 (Spring 1979), l65.
- Review of Value and Values in Evolution, ed. E. A Maziarz, in Choice.
- Editorial, in Controversy, No. l, a faculty journal at C. W. Post Center, December 1978, pp. l 3. .
- Review of Aurel Kolnai, Ethics, Value, and Reality: Selected Papers, in Choice, November 1978, 293. .
- "Songs from the Southern Mountains," Cakes and Ale, April 26, 1978.
- Review of Panayotis A. Michelis, Aisthetikos, Essays in Art Architecture and Aesthetics, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXVI, 4 (Summer 1978), 509 l0.
- Review of Nishida Kitaro, Art and Morality in Leonardo, 1978.
- Review of George Linden, Reflections on the Screen, and Paul Weiss, Cinematics, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXVIII, 2 (December 1977), 266 8.
- Review of Victor Kestenbaum, The Phenomenological Sense of John Dewey: Habit and Meaning, Choice, Feb. 1978, p. 28l.
- "A Report on the Urban Aesthetics Sessions at the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Aesthetics," with Marcus Hester, Leonardo, Vol. l0, pp. l3l 2.
- Review of R. Goldwater and M. Treves, eds. Artists on Art, in Leonardo, l0 (1977), 78.
- "A Report of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) 1976 Symposium 'Art, Science, and Technology in Shaping the Environment of the Future,'" Leonardo, Vol. 9 (1976), 211 212.
- "A Report on a Symposium "Art, Science, and Technology in Shaping the Environment of the Future'," Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXIV, 4 (Summer 1976), 523 5.
- Review of A. Isenberg, Aesthetics and the Theory of Criticism, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXVI, 4 (June 1976), 583 4.
- Review of Joseph Chiari, The Aesthetics of Modernism, in Leonardo, Vol. 9 (1976), 75 76.
- Review of Social Justice: the Catholic Position, ed. by V. P. Mainelli, Choice, January, 1976.
Review of T. J. Lescoe, Existentialism: with or without God, in Choice, February 1975.
- Letter, Leonardo, VIII (1975), 1, p. 94.
- Review of E. B. Feldman, Varieties of Visual Experience, in Leonardo, Vol. 7 (1974), p. 272.
- Review of James Gouinlock, John Dewey's Philosophy of Value, Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: A Quarterly Journal of American Philosophy, Vol. X, No. 3 (Summer 1974), 190 4.
- Review of D. Davis, Art and the Future in The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXII, 4 (Summer 1974), 570 l.
- Review of Henri Aron, L'esthétique marxiste in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXIV, 3 (March 1974), 452.
- Review of George P. Stein, The Ways of Meaning in the Arts, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXIV, l (September 1973).
- Review of Robin Spencer, The Aesthetic Movement in Leonardo, International Journal of the Contemporary Artist, 6 (1973), 370 l.
- Letter, Leonardo, 6 (1973) p. 190.
- Review of Kluver, Martin & Rose, ed., Pavilion, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXXI, 4 (Summer 1973).
- Review of Thomas Munro, Form and Style in the Arts, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXII, 4 (June 1973).
- Review of Rollo Handy, The Measurement of Values, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXII, 4 (June 1972), 573 574.
- Review of Charles Fried, An Anatomy of Values, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXII, 3 (March 1972), 416 417.
- Review of JoAnn Boydston, ed. Guide to the Works of John Dewey, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXII, 2 (December 197l), 285 286.
- Letter to the Editor, Leonardo, (a commentary of H. Osborne's article, "Aesthetics and the Artist Today'), IV, 3 (Summer 197l), 307 308.
- Review of N. Rescher, Introduction to Value Theory, in Journal of Value Inquiry, V, 3 (Summer 197l), 235 237.
- Review of T. Brunius, Theory and Taste, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXXI, 4 (June 197l), 6l5 6l6.
- "Hambro Performs with Ensemble," Review of concert by Amsterdam Ensemble, Cakes and Ale, January l4, 1970, 7 l0.
- "Art as Happenings," Review of Allan Kaprow's Assemblage, Environments and Happening, in ETC., XXVI, l (March 1969), 89 93.
- Review of S. Moser's Absolutism and Relativism in Ethics, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXIX, 3 (March 1969), 465 7.
- Review of V. Tejera's Art and Human Intelligence, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXIX, 2 (December 1968), 307 9.
- Review of M. Lipman, What Happens in Art? in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVIII, 3 (March 1968), 449 45l.
- Review of Abraham Moles, Information Theory and Esthetic Perception, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVIII, 2 (December 1967), 280 2.
- "The AAUP and the 'Right to Strike,'" Letter, AAUP Bulletin, (Autumn 1967), 345 346.
- Review of Allan Kaprow, Assemblage, Environments and Happenings, in The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, XXVI, l (Fall 1967), l36 7.
- Review of E. Gilson, The Arts of the Beautiful in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVII, 2 (December 1966), 295 6.
- Review of D. H. DeGrood, Haeckel's Theory of the Unity of Nature, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVII, l (September 1966).
- Review of R. Handy & P. Kurtz, A Current Appraisal of the Behavioral Sciences, and R. Handy, Methodology of the Behavioral Sciences, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXVI, l (September 1965).
- Review of Jean Paul Sartre, Essays in Aesthetics, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXV, 3 (March 1965).
- Review of Marvin Levich, ed., Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Criticism, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXV, 3 (March 1965).
- Review of Grace E. Cairn, Philosophies of History, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXV, 2 (December 1964).
- Review of Edward Madden, Chauncey Wright and the Foundations of Pragmatism, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, XXV, l (September 1964), l48 9.
- Book: A City in the Landscape: Rochester and the Lower Genesee. In collaboration with the architect Peter D. Paul, AIA, an environmental aesthetic study of the lower Genesee valley in western New York State.
- Translation from the French of "Creation Once Again," by Mikel Dufrenne. Original title, "Aujourd'hui encore, la creation," 1983.
- "Brancusi and the Phenomenology of Sculptural Space," 1978.
- "The Intuitive Impulse in Literary Performance." 1977.
- Aesthetics and the Contemporary Arts: An Anthology of Readings, 1970. Contracted for by Thomas Y. Crowell Co. but never published. xii + 826 pp. (ms.). Thirteen introductions and forty six selections, preface and bibliography.
- "Toward an Understanding of Art." Review of Virgil C. Aldrich, Philosophy of Art, 1967.
- "From the Past of Aesthetics to Its Future." Review of Göran Sörbom, Mimesis and Art: Studies in the Origin and Early Developmentof an Aesthetic Vocabulary, 1967.
- The Logic of Belief, An Introduction to Philosophic Thinking, 1965, pp. vi, 208. Text and readings. Copied for classroom use.
- Logic and Social Doctrine: Dewey's Methodological Approach to Social Philosophy, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1962. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation.
- Philosophies of Man, an Anthology of Readings, ed. with Neal W. Gilbert, and Shia Moser, Department of Philosophy, University of Buffalo, 1961. Multiplied for classroom use.